Performance is important, but as IT history shows, its not the fastest
software or hardware that wins the race, it the one that best meets people's
needs and capacity to use it, and usually this is perception based - will I
get sacked or promoted for using it?

GIS paradigms are fundamentally flawed from a data management perspective,
and every organisation I come across is trying to unravel the mess created
by "clone the geometry and hack" approach to data management. If we provide
some help there (by allowing more normalised data management) there will
IMHO be less need to stream large numbers of features for the usual purpose
of eyeballing the to try to understand the data management failures of the
past.

So, getting back to where we were, but enabling improvements to allow the
data to be meaningful so I might not have to ask for the whole lot every
time, is in fact a huge step forward, and to be heartily congratulated!

Rob A