Ciao Martin,
as I promised during this evening IRC I have spared some time to put
together an isolated test case to show the behavior I was talking
about.

The code is here http://pastebin.com/m53e6a6a8 , it is a simple
modification of the testCrop so it is pretty easy to play with in
order to sparkle some discussion.
This little snippet is trying to crop a very small (1/3 of the pixel
width and height) part of a coverage around the lower left corner. If
you try to run this code you'll getn an exception from the Resample
operation. It might turn out that there is a misunderstanding on my
side at the base of this problem, but it might be worth taking a look
anyway.

Anyway, these tests are driven by the fact that I am trying to get my
head around unifying some of the geotools operations or probably make
better use of the Resample by letting other ops falling back onto it.
What I am trying to test now is the cropping capability of the
Resample as well as the support in geotools for cropping very small
parts of a coverage, on this line I have some more thoughts to share,
but now I need to get some rest :-).

Ciao,
Simone.

Eng. Simone Giannecchini