I propose that the patch attached to GEOT-1951 be adopted on 2.4.x and
trunk:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-1951

The patch (for 2.4.x) refactors OnlineTestCase into OnlineTestCase
(provides connection failure tolerance) and its superclass
FixtureTestCase (provides fixture handling). This change will allow
fixtures to be used for tests where developers have set up services
under their own control, and failure tolerance is not desired. The
original failure-tolerant behaviour of OnlineTestCase is retained (apart
from the small changes listed below).

This patch also makes some other minor changes:
(1) the "once" flag for stack trace printing is no longer static (does
not make sense for one service to suppress error reporting for another)
(2) tearDown no longer final (now compatible with trunk)
(3) OnlineTestCase now swallows Exception, not Throwable. If your JVM is
on fire, you want to know about it.

Please try to break this patch with your online tests, as I have few
online tests configured.  :-)

I am happy to revise and resubmit if anyone has concerns.

If the patch is accepted, I will update the Developer Guide to match.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Software Engineer, CSIRO Exploration and Mining