Hi Martin I am looking at the following constructor and wondering at
your intent .... chances are since this is generics I am just
understanding things incorrectly; but it pays to be safe and ask ...

The constructor looks like the following ...
> public DefaultEngineeringDatum(final Map<String,?> properties) {
>         super(properties);
> }
I am pretty sure this is not what you intend; ie you probably intend to
set up a Map of Key / Value where the Key is String; and the Value is
anything.

What you have written is parameter where Maps which map to values of the
same type can be provided ... examples:
- Map<String,Integer> - you can have any value you want as long as it is
an Integer
- Map<String,String> - traditional property file
- Map<String,Serializable> - my personal favourite
- Map<String,Object> - anything goes

My guess is you intended the last entry ....in order to allow mix values
> public DefaultEngineeringDatum(final Map<String,Object> properties) {
>         super(properties);
> }
I would urge you to consider Map<String,Serializable> however as it is
very friendly to people who want to save and restore objects...