You can make a "fat" jar containing your applet and all dependencies and
sign that.

mcr wrote:
> Examining the source of the GeoTools class it seems that there is no
> possibility to avoid the security exceptions in an unsigned applet.
>
> Using an unsigned applet offers a possibility. Signing the applet jar is not
> enough, you have to sign gt-metadata.jar and the gt-reference.jar. (the
> gt-metadata.jar is responsible for these exceptions).
>
> Perhaps we should document this trap in the wiki ????
>

> Jody Garnett wrote:
>> You can use GeoTools.init( Hints ) to accomplish the same effect; the
>> library should not be running off and checking system properties but we
>> have not had an applet based user in a while.
>> The other tip is to be sure to use the epsg-wkt plugin when working in
>> an applet.
>> Cheers,
>> Jody
>>
>> mcr wrote:
>>> Using the geotools library in an applet causes some warnings to occur in
>>> the
>>> java console
>>>
>>> 08.09.2008 10:20:33 org.geotools.factory.Hints scanSystemProperties
>>> WARNING: AccessControlException: access denied
>>> (java.util.PropertyPermission
>>> org.geotools.referencing.epsg-datasource read) [...]
>>> 08.09.2008 10:20:33 org.geotools.factory.Hints scanSystemProperties
>>> WARNING: AccessControlException: access denied
>>> (java.util.PropertyPermission
>>> org.geotools.referencing.crs-directory read) [...]
>>> 08.09.2008 10:20:33 org.geotools.factory.Hints scanSystemProperties
>>> WARNING: AccessControlException: access denied
>>> (java.util.PropertyPermission
>>> org.geotools.referencing.forceXY read) [...] Exception in thread
>>> "Thread-25"
>>> java.awt.IllegalComponentStateException:
>>> component must be showing on the screen to determine its location
>>>
>>> I assume this is because of the sandbox model.
>>>
>>> Is there an official recommendation how to handle this situation ?

>> challenge
>> prizes
>> world

Ben Caradoc-Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Software Engineer, CSIRO Exploration and Mining
Australian Resources Research Centre
26 Dick Perry Ave, Kensington WA 6151, Australia