Hi list, I am working in the TXT proposal
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Extention+of+CQL+to+match+abilities+of+Filter

A week ago, we was analysing a possibility to improve the spatial relation
predicates.

Nowadays, TXT implements the spatial predicate - OGC Filter 1.1 - That is

 EQUALS | DISJOINT | INTERSECTS | TOUCHES | CROSSES | WITHIN | CONTAINS |
OVERLAPS | RELATE

Then you could write

intersects(g1, g2)

This is a syntax is very similar to spatial operations

intersect(g1.g2)

Then we are thinking to improve the grammar with an alternative syntax, it
could be:

geom1 INTERSECTS geom2

geom1 TOUCHES geom2

geom1 EQUALS geom2