Thanks Adrian. I should note that it is mainly Gabriel Roldán's work,
with a bit of rust removal and a fresh coat of GeoAPI 2.2 paint.

You are correct in noting that "application" is a rather overloaded
term. I would not dare to use it outside the phrase "application
schema," which has a precise meaning in this domain. The introduction to
ISO 19109 "Rules for application schema" contains the following: "An
application schema provides the formal description of the data structure
and content required by one or more applications. An application schema
contains the descriptions of both geographic data and other related data."

In short, AppSchemaDataAccess supports the creation of geographic XML
documents that are formally described by an application schema.

One reason for the change is to remove the confusing and incorrect use
of "simple" and "complex" from discussions of AppSchemaDataAccess.
GeoServer does not even support OGC Simple Features Profile Level Zero,
because it does not permit the encoding of MeasureType (a number with
uom attribute) or CodeType (a string with a codeSpace attribute).
SimpleFeature as used in GeoTools/GeoServer is a bit misleading. Perhaps
it should be called SimplerFeature?  ;-)

Application schemas need not be complex; they might conform to an OGC
Simple Features Profile.

We also considered "public" or "published" to describe this module (we
would then have had PubSchemaDataAccess), but application schemas need
not be published or public, because they might be internal to an
organisation.

The key distinction is between XML documents formally described by an
application schema, and those produced by current GeoServer releases,
which are not.

Notwithstanding the above remarks, we are of course happy to change the
name of the module and classes if the community feels that app-schema is
too confusing.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Software Engineer, CSIRO Exploration and Mining