Chris Holmes wrote:
> So my main problem with this paragraph is the notion that the DataAccess
> API is 'well supported' in GeoTools.  Has it seen any real use in
> production?  Has it been integrated in stable versions of any projects?

No, nor will it, until it is supported by GeoServer. Chicken. Egg.

> So I guess the assurance more needed from my end is that there are
> tasked resources that we can assign issues to and have them fixed as
> quickly as possible.
[snip]
> If this introduces a
> bunch of bugs that no one is helping us fix we'll look in to backing out
> the changes.

As you should.

> it sounds like you are
> committed to help out for the indefinite future.

Until June 2011.

> But I just want to be
> clear.  We will be looking at the patches more closely than others since
> they are core and cut across everything, and no matter what will
> introduce bugs.

Good.

> I wish our testing was good enough to catch most all of
> the potential bugs immediately, but it's not.

No doubt an expanded and more diverse user base will help detect more
bugs, and encourage better unit and regression testing.

> When does funding on your project end?

June 2011.

> And are you able to task people on helping fix bugs until that time?

Dr Robert Woodcock (AuScope Grid - Director) has confirmed to me that we
will task people to help fix bugs in the GeoServer WFS DataAccess
processing chain until June 2011.

We will not undertake to to support WMS, but I am confident that this
work will also benefit the WMS implementation.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>
Software Engineer, CSIRO Exploration and Mining