Hi guys,

As you know I'm working on improving ArcSDE gce support by adding support for
extra formats.
So, the way it works is that we have a so called ArcSDERasterReader (extending
ImageReader) for each pixel format. Each one reads tile data  in the
appropriate pixel packaging (float, byte, ushort, etc) into a BufferedImage's
WritableRaster.

But since there are a bunch of formats and this is leading to quite some
duplication and, the gtopo and geotiff plugins inspired me to experiment over
the weekend with implementing a JAI's ImageInputStream for arcsde rasters.

The spike seems to be going quite well, and, in my understanding, this would
lead to out of the box support of any of the formats and number of bands
combinations, right?

What I'm not so sure of and may be you can better tell me is what the other
advantages of going through JAI ImageRead operation, using a
RawImageInputStream and RawImageReaderSpi producing a RenderedOp would be over
building a plain BufferedImage (with the appropriate Sample and Color models
for a given format).

One of them, if I'm getting it right, is that we can give JAI any number of
bands regardless of which of them are used as the visible bands, which is
useful for band selection operations and other jai related stuff?

Cheers,

Gabriel
--
Gabriel Roldan