Emily Gouge ha scritto:
> I had the need the other day to use the projection 3785 in uDig.  The
> current version of the epsg-hsql jar didn't support this projection code
> so I went digging.
>
> In the epsg-hsql I found Martin's instructions for updating the EPSG.sql
> file.  So I followed these instructions and created a new EPSG.sql for
> my use.
>
> 1) I downloaded the latest EPSG database (Version 6.18) from
> http://www.epsg.org/.
> 2) I followed Martin's instructions for creating EPSG.sql database file.
> 3) I added a test case to the test cases to see if would read this
> projection from my new file.  Here I found a minor problem with this
> projection.  Apparently GeoTools doesn't support 'Mercator (1SP)
> (Spherical)' operation method; so I updated the EPSG.sql file to use
> 'Mercator (1SP)'.  I'm not sure if there is a difference between these
> two, however it seemed to work for me.

I think you'll notice significant differences if you try to
overlay with Google Maps or anything else using the Google projection
for good, the referencing code is most probably going to compensate
for the difference between the WGS84 ellipsoid and the EPSG 3785
spheroid.

> 4) I created myself a new epsg-hsql jar using this new EPSQ.sql file and
> I was able to use the 3785 projection in uDig.
>
> If the community is interested I can provide this new EPSG.sql file &
> other modifications to the code (test case & version number updates) as
> a patch.

I am interested :-)
Please open a jira and attach a patch, I'll have a look into it.
Can you also point out at your modification in the SQL, I would like
to revert it and add explicit support for the 'Mercator (1SP)
(Spherical)' case.