Some changes to the implementation of SimpleFeature.getDefaultGeometry()
are causing some problems with geoserver cite tests. The changes in
question are described here:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT-2403

As stated in the issue, the method before the changes was inconsistent
with the contract of getDefaultGeometry(), and henceforth the following
fallback was removed:

+//        // not found? Ok, let's do a lookup then...
+//        if ( defaultGeometry == null ) {
+//            for ( Object o : values ) {
+//                if ( o instanceof Geometry ) {
+//                    defaultGeometry = o;
+//                    break;
+//                }
+//            }
+//        }

In which an exhaustive lookup for any geometry is done. Perhaps not the
best place for the code, and perhaps bad practice to depend on such a
fallback/hack/assumption, but nonetheless, it was relied on, and hence
needs to be replicated with an alternative to rectify the regression.

The case in which this is coming up is in a wfs bounding box query which
does not specify a specific geometric attribute. So what is done is that
the empty string "" is placed into a PropertyName. This runs through the
PropertyAccessor extension point and gets mapped to
SimpleFaturePropertyAccessorFactory.DEFAULT_GEOMETRY_ACCESS, which just
calls through to feature.getDefaultGeometry().

So.. I am proposing that the definition of "" as a property name be
explicitly mapped to *any* geometry, since that is how it is being used
in this context, rather than the default goemetry, now that its
definition and implementation have been synced up.

Discussing the change with Gabriel he has suggested we change the name
DEFAULT_GEOMETRY_ACCESS to ANY_GEOMETRY_ACCESS, which makes sense to me.

Thoughts and/or opinions? The only other place place I can see this
causing an issue might with SLD.

-Justin

--
Justin Deoliveira