File to URL is what causes the problems...

File.toURL() is deprecate in Java 6 (because they screwed up the
encoding of spaces and other stuff)
File.toURI().toURL() is the approved workaround
DataUtilities.fileToURL() is our workaround for at least a couple
years now

fileToURL() is similar to the code in uDig form the URLUtils class
(because we have the same problem). I may be able to refresh the code
with recent changes; but since I do not quite trust them yet .... we
get bug reports every release.. I was hoping for the problems to
settle down first.

Jody