Hi list,
I would like to add a new gt-jp2kakadu unsupported module on geotools to
allow access JP2K data using the Kakadu driver via the imageio-ext-kakadu
plugin we have prepared on imageio-ext. (An incoming 1.0.3 release)
The underlying data access logics will be based on some of the key objects
introduced by Simone on its imagemosaic plugin such as RasterManager,
RasterLayerRequest, RasterLayerResponse which are preposed to handle any
control/logics involving resolutions/envelope/overviews/crop/requests/...
management.

When proceding with improvements and tests on the previously introduced
concepts/objects we could extract a base architecture which may be shared by
plugins to access coverages.

The "impact" of this module on the actual geotools structures is minimal:
That module will be out of the build during its initial life. No Kakadu
licensed binaries will be released or distributed.

Example of future tasks during the development of the plugin include:
- gmljp2 parsing
- multiple codestreams access capabilities (Mainly for jpx format)

Can I obtain the "GO" to committ this work on unsupported land? I will also
prepare a wiki page with additional info.
(The imageio-ext site already contains information about the Kakadu
capabilities as well as instructions on how to setup and build the required
kakadu native libs.)

Best Regards,
Daniele Romagnoli

Eng. Daniele Romagnoli