Simone Giannecchini ha scritto:
> Dear All,
> I wanted to spend a few words about the installation guidelines for
> Sphinx on ubuntu since I just tried to install it on a clean Ubuntu
> desktop 9.04.
> As they stand the installation steps seem to be incomplete, especially
> in view of guiding a Java developer and not a pythonist or a standard
> linux developer (c, c++ skills).
> Specifically, I got stuck the first time with a long list of errors
> which basically required me to install python development package
> which brings in python headers, the command is:
>
> sudo apt-get install python-dev
>
> After this I made it a bit further but then I got more errors, which I
> resolved by installing the build essentials as follows:
>
> sudo apt-get install build-essentials
>
> Notice that on windows things look easier, and the instructions seem just
> fine.
> I hope that these additions might help people in case they get stuck
> during the installation process.

Simone, are you talking about the instructions here:
http://docs.geoserver.org/1.7.x/en/docguide/install.html

So in the block where we tell people to install make and setup-tools
we should also cite build-essentials and python-dev?
In fact looking at my system I do have both installed.
Sorry about that, when I wrote the instructions I had a already
setup Linux machine and a virgin Windows one, that's why the
Windows instructions were easier to follow

Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org