Michael Bedward ha scritto:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm puzzling a bit more about how GridCoverageRenderer handles a world
> to screen transform supplied by the cient...
>
> Looking again at the GridCoverageRenderer code I see that I didn't
> read the comments properly and the code does indeed do what is
> advertised: ie. only uses the supplied transform it it is non-mull AND
> contains a rotation.
>
> But this means that in all other cases the client has to tailor the
> paint area's proportions so that GridEnvelopeMapper will return a
> correct affine transform, whereas when displaying vector data the
> ciient doesn't have to worry about this.
>
> Is there a problem with just accepting any non-null transform supplied
> by the client and only falling back to GridEnvelopeMapper when no
> transform is provided ? I've attached a new patch to the issue that
> does this, but I suspect I must still be missing something in the
> existing logic.

Michael,
I did not check the code, but as far as I remember the renderer did not
accept a user provided affine transform before the rotation patches
went in.

When they did they author was careful enough to make sure the rotation
path would kick in only if a real rotation was provided, as a safety
measure to avoid introducing unforeseen bugs in the main path.

What you're asking now is that we remove that safety. Which I think
I'm ok with, but that needs testing with all the use cased we
used to support and see if things still work fine:
- normal axis aligned painting
- reprojection
- what if the original coverage had a rotation in its world to grid
   transform?

We don't have unit test for any of that, that's why I'm concerned
with changes. I'm not saying that we should not change, but that
when doing so we need to be extra careful.

Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org