Andrea,

have you considered other patterns for capabilities, such as a property
container, like Hints, or the GeoAPI UserData map? This would make it
easier for users to add new capabilities without changing the Java API.
In effect, this would be a more dynamically typed approach, which would
be good as it is easier to extend, but bad because different communities
can invent different ways of doing the same thing. Your proposal would
keep implementations unified.

Either approach would be an improvement on the present instanceof +
try/catch antipattern, so I support this change.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>