A big +++++1 one for this proposal, having our own
FeatureAccessException with a Constructor
FeatureAccessException(Exception ex).

The IOException drives me crazy, because in Java 5 there is no
constructor IOException(Exception ex), in Java 6 there is.

Getting a backend exception (e. g. SQLException) is problematic. What to do ?
a) throw new RuntimeException(sqlEx)
b) throw new IOException (sqlEx.getMessage())

Neither of them is a lucky solution. Having our own exception makes
the interfaces consistent, we can always save the original exception
and we can build a nice Exception hierarchy if we need.
(FeatureReadException,FeatureWriteException,FeatureMetaDataException,,,)

IMHO, Very good idea.