Tara,

there is no convention on warnings. Generally we just fix things as we
go, although some maintainers (you know who you are) complain about
coding style fixes included with submitted patches as they can obscure
substantive changes.

GeoTools before 2.6 was a Java 1.4 project. When generics were
introduced in Java 5 and used in GeoTools 2.6, all use of collections
immediately started causing warnings. There has been no campaign to
clean up the code base.

Try to write clean code and fix things as you go. I use
@SuppressWarnings("serial") liberally and @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
whenever using unfixed core APIs. Dead code and commented code should be
removed. Nonstatic access to a static member is just bad style and
should be fixed.

This is what I do, and not official policy.

The only official policy is to use the Sun coding conventions, with
spaces not tabs, and a wrapping width of 100. The Eclipse formatter.xml
in the repo does this.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--