Nope, it is just the symptom of an improvement.
The .fix file is an old geotools specific trick to keep feature ids
stable in face of feature
deletion. The file is not actually needed until you edit the
shapefile, but once it's there
the reader has to assume it contains the feature id mappings and has
to open it and
scan it along with the .shx, .shp, .dbf and .qix.
The shapefile store on trunk is just a little less clueless than it
was and avoids creating
the .fix file until it's actually needed

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Ben Caradoc-Davies
<ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au> wrote:
> I just committed some changes in app-schema to trunk and stable
> (GEOT-3217, Tara Athan's shapefile handling fixes). Since these changes,
> running the gt-app-schema tests on stable results in this file being
> created (an index, perhaps):
>
> modules/library/sample-data/src/main/resources/org/geotools/test-data/shapes/archsites.fix
>
> This behaviour does not occur on trunk, and the file does not exist.
> app-schema is almost identical on stable and trunk, as we backport
> pretty much everything.
>
> Andrea, you have been working a lot on shapefile support. Any idea why
> this happens on stable and not on trunk? Automatic index generation
> turned on by default?
>
> It is going in my .gitignore, but it might indicate a problem.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> --
> Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben.caradoc-dav...@csiro.au>
> Software Engineering Team Leader
> CSIRO Earth Science and Resource Engineering
> Australian Resources Research Centre

Ing. Andrea Aime
Senior Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.