GeoServer's already using POI for Excel output.  I was only indirectly
involved in that module's development but it was written in short order by
someone who usually doesn't do Java work so I get the impression POI is
pretty nice to work with.

http://svn.codehaus.org/geoserver/branches/2.0.x/src/extension/excel/ has
the source if you want to take a peek at the code, or
http://poi.apache.org/for the official docs.

--
David Winslow
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org/