Hi,
the work described in
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Rendering+transformations
has just been committed on GeoTools trunk and GeoServer trunk.

The processes needed to get the same maps as in the proposals example
are in the GeoServer
WPS for the moment, waiting for me (or anyone else, really) to find
the time to port
back the process annotation to gt-process and start organizing some processing
plugins in GeoTools.

As planned, I'll wait for the release before backporting on gt 2.7.x/ gs 2.1.x

Enjoy :-)

Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Tech lead