Ciao Andrea,
I would suggest going for perceptual diff, the problem you have
identified (similarity in images)
is an hard problem to solve per se and I am worried by the fact that
we might be introducing
too much complexity for performing this test, at least unless we find
something java-based that we know it works reasonably already
and requires zero coding.

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
Ing. Simone Giannecchini