Hi.

I  am looking for a technological solution of an embedded database with
spatial data support to be used within a custom UDIG-based application
as a single data storage (of simple features with geometries and other
tabular metadata) with an ability for UDIG to work with feature layers
through Geotools' DataStore API   and having a direct connection to
perform arbitrary CRUD operations with attribute data by SQL (preferably
even through ORM interface).

 From this point of view what is a state of recent development in H2 GeoDB?

Base requirements are above;  there is a need to query the data sets
having 5000 - 25000 features (polygons) in general, of course, as fast
as possible (spatial indexing is a MUST).  All together I would consider
this solution as a lightweight "version" of a File-based Geodatabase
from ArcGIS platform (nothing complex beyond basic requirements above,
again).

Seems this functionality is important for us and in general for open
source GIS (similar concept as file-based geodatabase of ArcGIS) in
order to handle as spatial as non-spatial data together locally with
direct SQL access and other interfaces, instead of old-fashion set of
shapefiles with their data type and other constraints, so,  we are ready
at some point to invest to the development and contribute  new features
to the community.

But, what is a current state of H2 GeoDB and Geotools' H2 DataStore
implementation, what are other possible alternatives of an embedded Java
SQL database with spatial support?

An idea of an "embedded" database is there because we need to provide a
solution to be deployed somewhere locally in offline on desktops,
shouldn't require any complex configuration, must be simple by nature,
better, ifit isjust  supplied within a single package (UDIG -based app),
etc... So, in ArcGIS I would use some type of geodatabase.  What to
choose and where to invest in UDIG + GeoTools ecosystem?

Regards, Vitali Diatchkov.