On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You mean, 2.1.x migrating to the 8.x series? -1, way too many changes
> occurred, it would take a couple of months
> of betas before getting out with something that can be considere "stable"
> for the production needs.
>
> Darn :(
>
> Well I am also not keen on having two stable branches ... any other
> suggestions?

None that I can think of. Even if we decided to start making 2.2.0
preparation releases
today (betas) it would likey take a couple of months before the 2.2.0
release.

Those two months would require an increased effort towards stabilization
for the
active GeoServer contributors, which really means, the companies employing
them
would have to give up part of their usual business and concentrate on that
instead.

Last three months showed we have a hard time finding the half a day it takes
to make a release: 2.1.2 was delayed over a month after the initial
intentions, 2.1.3 was
supposed to be out over a month ago and we still haven't seen it, talks
about making it also
vanished.

So... I believe we're going to see a push on the GS 2.2.0 series only when
everybody
really needs it or when it's going to become ridicolous not doing it (the
one year
mark from the last major release).

If you really need to make a 8.0 stable series now it's fine by me, but
it's rather likely
that we are going to see the GeoServer developers work only on the new
trunk and the
2.7.x series (e.g., whatever GeoServer branches are actually using).
In times when finding time to make a release is trouble having to back port
each change
two times every day is also not going to fly much.

I had hopes to see quicker release cycles, but it's hard to justify when we
only had two
GS bug fix releases so far.
I know this mail sounds like "it's all about GeoServer" but let's face it,
a large amount of
contributions are driven by companies whose core business is GeoServer, not
GeoTools,
GeoTools work is mostly the side effect (and good will to contribute back)
of the first.

Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Tech lead