David,

The JTS library includes the standard Douglas-Peucker algorithm:
http://tsusiatsoftware.net/jts/javadoc/com/vividsolutions/jts/simplify/DouglasPeuckerSimplifier.html

as well as a topology preserving algorithm:
http://tsusiatsoftware.net/jts/javadoc/com/vividsolutions/jts/simplify/TopologyPreservingSimplifier.html

So you might get some good responses for your question on the JTS mailing list:

Michael