Hey folks,

I have heard back from github about an organization account for geotools
(and geoserver) and indeed we are able to create a free org for both. Its
actually pretty seamless since we already have accounts set up for both,
there is a nice feature to convert them to an organization. Upon doing so
we add organization owners which is the equivalent of despots. I'll add
folks who are currently codehaus despots to this list.

One level down from organizations are teams. This will be the equivalent of
the project comitter list. As part of the migration we will have to mine
the current svn commiter and list and add everyone who has a corresponding
github account.

Ok... so looking at the proposal i think my tasks in the short term are
going to be the following:

1. Update dev guide to include info about using git, do's and dont's,
etc...
2. get organizations setup
3. turn off svn, or more ideally make it read only for now
4. transition core committer list to github, will probably need to poll dev
lists to get people to provide there account info for those i can't infer
obviously
5. flip the github switch
6. transition all the build machinery

@Jody, can i get you to coordinate with the osgeo folks on #3.

I am thinking 3-6 should probably be done over a weekend to impact as
few people as possible, sorry Andrea :) . This weekend should work nicely,
especially since it is a long one in north america. Before then i will try
to get some initial git docs in place for review and feedback.

More to come soon.

-Justin

--
Justin Deoliveira