+1.

Thanks for bringing this up, Justin. Does the developer manual address
this matter?

I find commit messages with only the Jira key to be a lot less helpful
than they could be. Developers, please think of another developer
looking at a long log listing. Or a maintainer considering your pull
request.

I like at a minimum the Jira key (GEOT-NNNN) and the Jira issue summary
(title). If you do not have a Jira issue, I would like a description of
why you made this change in the message. git will tell us *what* you
changed; I want to know *why*.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--