Hi all,

So I recently I took a crack at removing the xerces dependency as we
discussed in our last skype meeting. For the most part this was relatively
straight forward. Unfortunately one thing i wasn't quite able to figure out
was some stuff in app-schema-resolver module. The AppSchemaValidator class
uses an implementation of what was XMLEntityResolver directly in xerces. I
tried porting this to the jaxp EntityResolver interface which is included
in the JDK, but couldn't make it work. So I think i will need some help
there. Or we can simply keep xerces as a dependency of just app-schema.

Here is the branch I am currently working on.

  https://github.com/jdeolive/geotools/tree/noxmldeps

And the corresponding geoserver branch:

  https://github.com/jdeolive/geoserver/tree/noxmldeps

WIth these changes all unit tests pass in both code bases, and so do the
GeoServer cite tests.

-Justin

--
Justin Deoliveira