David,

this is a general Java development question, not specific to GeoTools.
There are many ways to create something runnable. The basic problem is
that you need to package your .class files into a runnable .jar file,
and also ensure that all dependencies are available at runtime on the
classpath. You also need a JRE (your JDK comes with one, other users
will need one).

In Eclipse you should be able to File/Export/Java/Runnable JAR file and
bundle all your dependencies into the JAR.
http://www.google.com/search?q=eclipse+runnable+jar+file+tutorial

This is crude and unsuitable for real applications because it makes it
hard to manage dependencies (and comply with the LGPL), but might be
suitable for experimentation.

For real applications, there are open source installers that bundle your
runnable JAR, its dependencies, scripts, and even a JRE. I have used
izPack (but that was years ago). There are others:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/184060/java-application-installers
http://www.google.com/search?q=java+application+installer

JEE servlets have their own deployment technology: WAR files; These can
be generated by Maven and Eclipse. Other platforms like Eclipse RCP have
their own patterns.

Kind regards,
Ben.