He must be fine with it.

He merged my pull request and back-ported it to the 9.x branch

The way I seemed to fixed the default value is, and this is my point of
uncertainty, can be seen in  the following code extract:

   for (int i = 0; i < size; i++) {
      final Range range = classificationRanges.get(i);
      final Class<? extends Number> rangeClass = range.getMin().getClass();

      if (widestClass != rangeClass) {
        widestClass = ClassChanger.getWidestClass(widestClass, rangeClass);
      }

      final int reference = useCustomOutputPixelValues ? outputPixelValues [i]
: i + 1;

      rltBuilder.add(range, convert(reference, noDataValue.getClass()));
        <== Adding the ranges with appropriate lookup value
    }

    // Add the largest range that contains the no data value
    rltBuilder.add(new Range(getClassMinimum(widestClass), true,
getClassMaximum(widestClass), true), noDataValue);     <=== this is how I added
the no data (default) value. Is this appropriate to add this range lookup last
to support a no data (default) value?

Brett