+1 from me. With some comments inline.

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 4:28 AM, Andrea Aime <andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it>wrote:

> Hi,
> following up a set of push requests and mails by Jared Erickson I would
> like to propose the graduation of the OGR module to supported status,
> with me and Jared as maintainers (and Justin too, if he's interested in
> taking part).

Yup, interested in co-maintaining. Sounds like Jared and yourself are
having good success with the bridj stuff so in particular I can own the jni
module.

> The module is currently split into 3 parts:
> * core
> * BridJ based native bindings
> * JNI based native bindings
>
> In order to measure code coverage I've prepared a branch in which the
> BridJ bindings
> are merged back into the core module, getting a coverage of 62%.
>

> According to the guide a module needs 4 stars to become supported. Here we
> go:
>
> * Passes IP check, basically has correct headers: yes, has been fully
> written by me and Justin
> * Releasable - has no non blocking bugs in jira: nope, all the tickets
> reported against the module are closed
> * Used in anger - Used by GeoServer or uDig or Geomajas (ie some kind of
> large real world datasets): sort of,
>   it's being used in GeoScript and I'd like to add a GeoServer community
> module for it too
> * Optimised - has been tuned to meet hard performance requirements
> (example shapefile): there are performance tests,
>   the module works fine
> * Supported - user docs, module maintainer watches user list, answers
> email etc.. (example referencing): I believe both
>   and and Jared would support the module
>
> Let's make it 3 stars and two halves = 4?
>
> About which modules to port to supported status, personally I'd go for
> core and bridj bindings.
> The JNI bindings were created by Justin because BridJ support was not
> working on OSX, but recently
> Jared fixed that. So, I believe the ability to support JNI bindings is
> linked to Justin presence (Justin,
> let us know).

Yes, I would like keep the JNI bindings alive (and supported) at least for
now. I'll try to do my own testing of the bridj stuff which will involve
multiple versions of OSX and if I see success perhaps we can revisit the
need for the jni module and potentially remove it. Let me know if that
sounds ok.

> Feedback welcomed
>
> Cheers
> Andrea