If there is no constructor around at all Java invents (at the byte code
level) a no arguments constructor. For tutorials I tend to put one in
explicitly so I have a chance to talk about SPI in the comments.

This is a personal style thing, you will often find me adding methods just
so I can write a javadoc. Occasionally I get away with it...