So, it turns out that Diff.NULL already exists - it was added at the same
time as the Initial DiffContentState implementation, but was never used. I
have updated everything to use it instead of TransactionStateDiff.NULL.
I have also rebased against you latest changes - we did a good job of
keeping our changes seperate, as I had no merge conflicts at all.

Updates have been added here: https://github.com/geotools/geotools/pull/685

Just so we are on the same page here, the main TODOs remaining for this
deprecation are:
 - Migrate MemoryDataStore to use ContentDataStore instead of
AbstractDataStore -> This feels like it should be a seperate pull request
 - Replace CollectionDataStore with the new inline implementation in
DataUtilities.
 - Replace all uses of ArrayDataStore with DataUtilities.store(
DataUtilities.source( array ) )

Torben