On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Andrea Aime <andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Justin Deoliveira <jdeol...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> +1 I like this approach and I think it will generally make more sense to
>> people using solr.
>>
>> Question re the cql filter. Will this be a datastore parameter? Or
>> something configured on the fly?
>>

> Something that GeoServerFeatureSource adds on the fly, based on the
> GeoServer layer configuration (see parallel thread on the geoserver ml,
> where we suggest
> to add a cql filter on _every_ layer config, not just SOLR).

Right, it made more sense after seeing that thread :)

>> If the former what about rather than a cql filter specifying a solr "q"
>> (query) or "fq" (filter query) parameter directly? I think this would give
>> much more flexibility as it would:
>>
>> - allow the user to specify solr syntax directy, rather than have to go
>> through only is mappable from cql
>> - allow for use of solr concepts (like query boosting, etc..) that aren't
>> really expressible in cql
>>

> A very nice idea... but I don't have enough time/funding to follow this
> direction (would require some custom UI in GeoServer too, and some virtual
> table like setup in the store).
> Is it something you want to help with, even later?

No worries, just bringing it up as a discussion point. Definitely something
that can be done later... shouldn't  be too hard since we already have the
machinery in place to handle direct solr parameters via viewparams.

>> Finally one potentially related point while we are talking about a
>> redesign is that I think that rather have the user point directly to a url
>> that specifies the core, have the main url the base solr url, and have each
>> core served as an available layer. I think this would (a) be more
>> convenient to create a single store and (b) follow more how our other
>> formats like databases work. I have some code on a branch that does this
>> with an implementation of the LayerMapper interface. I can work on making
>> that available.
>>

> Agreed, it's just that I'm really tight on time (both available, and
> delivery deadline). But if you have time to work on it, now or later, I
> believe it would be a nice win for everybody.
> Also does not look like my little change would be at odds with what you're
> proposing, am I right?

Yup, I don't see any conflict, definitely something we can iterate on. I
hope to have some time I can put into this in a few weeks time after some
other deliverables are out of the way. Anyways, definitely proceed as you
see fit and I'll be happy to review the patch when the time comes.