On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Andrea Aime <andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 9:45 AM, Stefano Costa <
> stefano.co...@geo-solutions.it> wrote:
>
>> The fix affects org.geotools.xml.Schemas and essentially forces the
>> import of external schemas (if any) when the schema being parsed contains
>> itself no element / type definition.
>>

> I'm wondering if it would not be more correct to always import the other
> schemas. After all, one could
> use a mix of local and importer elements, no?
>
> Just as a guess, doing the import always has maybe serious performance
> /memory usage implications?

I considered this (simpler) option, but I was a bit worried about the
implications.

If there are local elements / types which refer to externally defined
elements / types (e.g. GeologicUnitPart, defined in geologicUnit.xsd,
extends gml:AbstractObject, which is defined in some GML schema, don't
remember which one), then the parser already imports the external schemas
automatically: if I remove the check on the importing schema's content and
always force the import, I'll be doing the same job twice, possibly ending
up with multiple copies of the same element / type definitions (maybe this
is not true, didn't test it).

Importing and parsing remote schemas can be a time consuming task: I have a
unit test which loads all GeoSciML 3.2 schemas plus their dependencies (GML
3.2, GMD, ecc...) and it takes more than 1 minute to run, so I would strive
to avoid importing the same schemas twice.

It is true that app-schema caches remote schemas locally, so the second
import would be much faster, but the fix I wrote is in the gt-xsd-core
module, which is likely used in other contexts, where caching may not be
available.

Perhaps I should apply the fix to the app-schema extension only?

--

Best regards,
Stefano Costa

==
Visithttp://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==
Dott. Stefano Costa
Senior Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
http://www.geo-solutions.ithttp://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003
nel/i file/s allegato/i sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate.
Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del
messaggio, per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora
riceviate questo messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo
cortesemente di darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla
distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema.
Conservare il messaggio stesso, divulgarlo anche in parte,
distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od utilizzarlo per finalità
diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai principi dettati dal
D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely
for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be
confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of
privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New
Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any
disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either
dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except
previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by
telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message
that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty
or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent
messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they
were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission, viruses, etc.