Hey folks,

I wanted to start a new thread on this topic to talk about implementation
approach, since I think we can all agree that the current patch (which has
been closed) needs to be redone, at least to some extent.

In general I can think of two approaches to this:

1. Follow the path laid down by the existing patch and add a custom class
to represent this “extended date type”. And then add the converter logic,
etc… to handle converting it to/from it’s native “bigint” representation.

2. Try to approach this by shuffling along some extra metadata in the
attribute type for the column. We already store the “native typename” for
attributes… so I wonder if we can use that to drive the special logic for
date handling.

Alternatives very welcome.

Both of these approaches rest of the idea of adding “well known” domain
types that we would handle in the database, the one from the patch is named
“bigdate”. So I guess one open question to the other developers is if we
are ok with the idea to latching onto types that aren’t “standard”.

All in all I’m kind of leaning toward approach (1) as I think it will be
simpler and it doesn’t involve changing any apis. To make (2) work I think
we should have to end up making modifications to the SQLDialect class in
order to pass AttributeType around instead of Class to some methods. But if
folks feel strongly about following (2) I can give it a try.

Thanks folks.

Also happy to write this up in a proposal if devs think that is warranted.

-Justin