My thoughts on the @author tag:
I feel like the git commit log gives a clearer and more usefull picture of
this sort of information - You can see the initial author, as well as the
author of any major changes, and can usually get a good idea of who is
currently doing the most work in that area of the codebase (as compared to
someone who authored a class 5 years ago and hasn't touched it since).
The one exception is when stuff gets transitioned between repositories or
other similar bulk import cases.
Conversely, the @author tag is much less maintainable, less enforcable, and
prone to getting out-of-date.

Torben