Hello,

I have an example of a GridCoverage2D that I am trying to create with an
signed byte data type. This seems like it should be possible...I create a
GridSampleDimension with a SampleDimensionType of
SampleDimensionType.SIGNED_8BITS. I then use that GridSampleDimension in
the GridCoverageFactory.create call, which for some reason sets the type to
SampleDimensionType.UNSIGNED_8BITS.

Tracing through the code, when I originally create the GridSampleDimension,
a call to TypeMap.getSampleDimensionType is made (
https://github.com/geotools/geotools/blob/14.3/modules/library/coverage/src/main/java/org/geotools/coverage/TypeMap.java#L259)
which evaluates to the correct dimension type, based on the range of
values. During the creation of the GridCoverage2D, the range of values is
ignored, and we end up at this call of TypeMap.getSampleDimensionType (
https://github.com/geotools/geotools/blob/14.3/modules/library/coverage/src/main/java/org/geotools/coverage/TypeMap.java#L285),
which assumes any DataBuffer of TYPE_BYTE must mean unsigned bytes.

I see this behavior also when reading in GeoTiffs that have unsigned byte
types; it reads the SampleDimenisonType as a unsigned byte.

This seems like a bug, can someone please confirm? Or am I missing how to
detect signed bytes?

Thanks,
Rob