Hello,

This message is particularly aimed at people who develop/use coverage
readers that support custom dimensions, but are outside of the main
geotools/geoserver code base.

I am proposing a change that may affect them (see
https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-7989). In short:

At this moment Coverage Reader may or may not advertise a Java class
through their metadata for each custom dimension.

However, geoserver WMS and WCS1 ignore this and always put custom
dimension values in String format inside the query filter. My PR would
change this and attempt to convert to the advertised type first, if
possible.

The only affected readers in the official code base are netcdf and
imagemosaic. My change would break neither, but rather improve both (by
supporting Dates). However, it is possible that there are other readers
around that advertise a class but still assume a String in the query
(because that is how it works now).

So if that is the case, please respond to this message.

In general, I would like to know whether this change is OK with the
community.

Kind Regards

Niels