Hi Jukka,
we are not going to support that switch for a while, this round of funding
only allows us to get so far, and what we
have to deliver needs to be done now and be somewhat production ready.
I'd say, GDAL 2.5 + proj6 wil be a concern of another round of funding, if
we're lucky enough to get one, which may
start happening as soon as GDAL 2.5+ is distributed in LTS Linux distros
(that's what most installs go on, at least in my experience).

--

Regards, Andrea Aime == GeoServer Professional Services from the experts!