GeoTools / GeoServer PMC meeting - 2019-05-14Attending

Torben Barsballe

Ian Turton

Jody Garnett

Jukka Rahkonen

James Hughes

Andrea Aime

Kevin Smith
Actions from Last Meeting

   -

   Torben to check potential missing OGR package [DONE]
   -

   Torben will repost PostGIS build failure to email list [DONE - no
   response]
   -

   Andrea will raise Java 11 test tolerance for GeoTools build [DONE]
   -

   Jody to take “geoserver security” idea to mailing list [DONE- no
   response]
   -

   Jody will continue to pursue maven repo for GeoTools, has reached out to
   osgeo projects. [DONE - no response]

Agenda

   -

   Build Server
   -

   Release
   -

   ImageN Update
   -

   Cross project PR checks
   -

   PR templates
   -

   Switching from Jira to Github for issue tracking
   -

   Chit chat

Actions

   -

   Torben: Report back to Mailing List about Nightly Build status tomorrow
   -

   Jody: Talk to OSGeo about setting up a forum (Discourse?) on OSGeo
   hardware for discussion (done #2306
   <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2306#ticket>)

Build Server

Build server in maintenance, taken offline and being rebuilt using Jenkins
2. Taking longer than estimated (to set up mavn, java, etc…).

Blocking:

   -

   Nightly builds is the real pain point keeping all PRs from being merged
   -

      Can we prioritize just this point as a blocker? “yes”
      -

   Twitter complained about not having access to community module builds
   (huh!)

   -

   Consider balancing this across GeoSolutions / OSGeo hardware?
   -

      GeoSolutions offers dedicated hardware for nightly builds.
      -

      OSGeo could also provision hardware (and may have some already).
      -

         Jody: To ask what is available.
         -

   Scale back to only compile community modules, make it obvious in docs
   that you need to compile this stuff yourself → noope! :-D
   -

      Note these downloads are transient were not really expected to be kept

Release

Release next week? May 18th +/-:

   -

   Blocked by Build Server!
   -

   May 16th: Kevin, James Hughes (requests backup), Torben helps with build
   server
   -

   If not we will have to reschedule when build server is available

James is looking at the jira release script during the sprint.

   -

   Initially adapt readme instructions?
   -

   release notes? Edit file before you make the release.

May consider porting the geoserver release script for GWC?

   -

   Kevin is comfortable with the Ruby Script, but hard for others …

GeoServer website release automation ideas / discussion.

ImageN Update

Code base is up:

   -

   https://github.com/eclipse/imagen

IP review ongoing:

Update is a search and replace to change package names, and everything else
compiles.

We need to coordinate this across our roadmap.

Q: How to handle JAI-EXT?

   -

   Option 1: Search and replace on master, subsequent releases use ImageN
   -

   Option 2: Add an imagen-ext module to ImageN project

Roadmap research:

   -

   Make a branch on all the projects and try it out

Q: JAI SPI?

   -

   One method that registry everything …

Q: How is it working on Java 11?

   -

   It does not compile, when it uses Java 8 classes those codec

Codecs:

   -

   Are in a seperate jar, we would make that only work in Java 8
   -

   Java 11 already has a TIFF codec

Q: How to handle classses JAI with static methods?

   -

   Options A: Keep JAI as is (a bit odd but it is done already!)
   -

   Options B: Make ImageN, and then make JAI extend ImageN (and deprecate
   JAI).

Q: tutorials and examples

   -

   We got it - https://github.com/eclipse/imagen/pull/11

Q: ImageN stuff to go out?

   -

   Not in general as we want an open source copy
   -

   Specifically looking up internationalization in the jre/ext folder ←
   need to remove
   -

   Remote is based on RMI ← keep for those migrating?
   -

   Renderable ← keep for those migrating?

Q: JAI-EXT functionality to go in now?

   -

   concurrent registry
   -

      based on Java stuff ← read write locks!
      -

   title cache is slow
   -

      based on synchronized
      -

      Switch to Java concurrent would be the key improvement

   -

   new concurrent tile cache?
   -

      Uses Google Cache Concurrent
      -

      import com.google.common.cache.Cache;
      -

      import com.google.common.cache.CacheBuilder;
      -

      import com.google.common.cache.RemovalCause;
      -

      import com.google.common.cache.RemovalListener;
      -

      import com.google.common.cache.RemovalNotification;
      -

      import com.google.common.cache.Weigher;
      -

   performance is much better under concurrent load
   -

      scales a lot better under concurrent load
      -

      cleans up the titles from a specific image much faster

Cross project PR checks

If we had a build server we could set this up …

   -

   discussion covering how difficult this is:
   -

      Need a geotools PR to be tested in GWC and GeoServer

   -

   Example from Checkstyle
   https://github.com/checkstyle/checkstyle/pull/6762  (uses Circle-CI for
   regression testing)
   -

   James is considering looking at that this week …

PR templates

What are PR templates?

https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/pull/3490
Switching from Jira to Github for issue tracking

Twitter feedback that we make it too difficult …

   -

   Mailing lists are too old, request forum that they do not need to sign
   in …
   -

      Move to stack exchange? We are already
      https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/geoserver
      -

      That is a Q&A format so not quite the same
      -

      Not flooded by email (like user list)
      -

      Want to make the question without any delay
      -

      OSGeo hosts NextCloud (which does offer Forum)
      -

      Also folks expect a chat (like slack or gitter)
      -

      Twitter also offered to set up a forum https://discourse.mozilla.org/
      -

   New account to report bug on Jira is too difficult …
   -

      Can we make it use OSGeo user id ← probably longer delay? Bad idea ..
      -

      Assume folks have a GitHub account github issues may work
      -

      GitHub issues did not allow attachments previously

GitHub issues now support attachments (this was a blocker):

   -

   White list of file types (images, pdf, zip)
   -

   25 MB size limit
   -

   Offer of 5 days to port issues …

   -

   At least we are not IRC :)
   -

   We do not really need more “participation” we need more “developers” :)
   -

   Andrea is not sold, but not totally against …

Action:

   -

   Jody ask osgeo about hosting forum software (#2306
   <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2306#ticket>)

Chit chat

Happy Tuesday everyone...