Actually the GeoJSONWriter looks like it would work perfectly. Our workflow is: start writing the export (i.e. write the type 'FeatureCollection' and start the 'features' array); write 0-n features as they come back from various asynchronous queries; finish writing the export (i.e. write the closing array bracket and close the FeatureCollection element). The old gt-geojson module didn't support this pattern.

Thanks,

Emilio