Hi,
I've opened [0] which I ran into after setting up online testing with MySQL 8 and will be taking a stab at that, but before I take off I'm wondering which versions of MySQL we want to support in GeoTools.

The MySQL project is already dropping support for 5.6 on some platforms [1] and dropping that in GeoTools (24.x/master) would make the migration/upgrade easier as 5.7 is supposed to have both ST_ prefixed and plain named (but deprecated) spatial functions. We could leave 23.x as is (without MySQL 8 support, but with 5.6/5.7 support)

Mark

[0] https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOT-6690
[1] https://www.mysql.com/support/supportedplatforms/database.html