Hi,

Indeed the usage of mysql for spatial data handling was rather limited some
years ago mainly to the fact that until v5.5 spatial support was rather
limited to working with minimum bounding rectangles rather than the actual
geometries and spatial functions provided quite limited. However since the
advent of v5.6 this has changed and mysql now provides precise spatial
operations, a quite a rich interface of spatial analysis functions, spatial
indexes etc. Maybe it does not yet provide the richness of postgis but it
is constantly improving and its performance is quite decent.
IMHO when it comes to open source solutions where you want efficiency and
robustness for handling both spatial and nonspatial data it might be now
the 2nd best option after postgres and I am sure it will gain popularity
(regarding spatial usage) in the coming years. Personally, I have built an
application for supporting greek cadastral activities using mysql 5.7 and
geotools (via udig, I had to extend the geotools mysql-jdbc module a couple
of years ago to support mysql v5.6+ ) and I am pretty content with its
robustness. The problem of course is that this evolution of mysql spatial
comes at the cost of breaking backward compatibility as it is the case for
v8.0 (that is why I am still using v5.7).

Στις Τετ, 28 Οκτ 2020 στις 5:51 μ.μ., ο/η Andrea Aime <
andrea.a...@geo-solutions.it> έγραψε: