Hi Jim,
for a long time I wanted to utilize the TransformDataStore to power
renaming and retyping in GeoServer.
I was hoping to get that through configuration in the layer page, making
the attribute details table editable...
and that's why it never happened in the end, changing the UI and the
associated config is not trivial
(once you have that, setting up the transformation in the ResourcePool is
easy).

As far as I can tell, the datastore allows to transform one feature type,
with some text based definitions.
It will keep some attributes un-modified, and allow to add new
computed/renamed ones at the end
(or if one goes for specifying only transformations, get full control of
order too, as one could
add "att=att" "transformations" keeping a certain attribute un-modified,
but in the desired position).

The approach you're going towards makes it easier to get it going, it's
probably time to allow "better"
to go forward in face of a "best" that does not want to come :-D
Go for it.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 7:20 PM Jim Hughes <jhug...@ccri.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> At various times, Jody and I have chatted about having a "CQL View" in
> GeoServer (or something similar akin to the SQL Views) that'd leverage
> the Transform module and allow one to add columns to a FeatureSource
> based on expressions.  Such expressions could use existing or custom CQL
> functions and that'd open a world of possibilities.
>
> Last week, I asked Jody about this idea again and he indicated that one
> would really just need to write a DataStoreFactory.  I banged out an
> initial implementation as a starting place for the conversation.  This
> implementation provides a way to project down to a subset of attributes
> as well as add new columns/attributes to a FeatureStore.
>
> If folks like it as-is, I'd be happy to add unit tests, and
> documentation wherever we see fit.  Thanks in advance for some feedback
> on this idea!
>
> https://github.com/geotools/geotools/pull/3196/files
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim

Regards, Andrea Aime

== GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf
Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa
(LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549
http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it
------------------------------------------------------- *Con riferimento
alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 -
Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni
circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali
allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i
destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per
errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le
sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended
information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679
“GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information
herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by
telephone or e-mail.*