Thanks Martin:

We do require PRs be made gainst main, and then backported.

No objection to you taking on s3-geotiff on our end, I caution that I do
not think that module has an active developer to review your PR.
Indeed we may need to set you up with commit access if you wish to work on
a community module, you can see the developers guide
<https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/developer/policies/community-modules.html>
for
details.

Think about it, and reply to this email with your github id if you are
interested in such a role (even for a couple of months while your team
transitions to COG).