GeoTools / GeoServer PMC meeting - 2021-11-23Attending

   -

   Torben Barsballe
   -

   Jody Garnett
   -

   Kevin Smith
   -

   Andrea Aime

Actions from last meeting:

   -

   [DONE] Release Managers: Copy Release notes for active branches, and
   update website release layout
   -

   Torben: Ask on GeoServer Gitter about space increase (up to 500G) for
   build server. JENKINS_HOME is currently 173G, and the server only has 250G
   total.
   -

   [DONE] Torben:  Propose switching to 17:30 UTC on mailing list.

Agenda

   1.

   Jenkins Java 11 Upgrade (delayed)
   2.

   Meeting Time Discussion (continued)
   3.

   Java 17 support
   4.

   Translations

Actions

   -

Jenkins Java 11 Upgrade (delayed)

Waiting for 2.20.1 release, which is done. Backup wrapping up (remote
backup).
Then should be good to go.

Idea:

   -

   Ask for more space on server; 500 GB total
   -

   cite jobs may need clean up
   -

   jobs with local repo try to store in workspace, can we exclude
   repositories?

Aside: windows installer permissions should be fixed (was unable to delete)
Meeting Time Discussion (continued)

Change to CEST timezone so we do not have to update twice a year … Tested
for this meeting, seems to work fine.
Java 17 support

There is a PR, wow! Thanks bjornharrtell and aaime :)

   -

   geotools is … done/merged and PR check in place
   -

   geoserver .. a few “opens” added for java base packages
   -

      https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/pull/5248
      -

      opens are needed to build, for example xstream needs access to
      everything
      -

      Docs

<https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/pull/5248/files#diff-0de80ee77ef3a19e4755bed64f0fddd5bada87c740d4b3bdc59cc6603073676eR23>

marlin:

   -

   mentioned in
   -

   adoptium temurin  Java 8 - now includes Marlin
   https://adoptium.net/migration.html “Work is planned at Adoptium to
   either backport Marlin to OpenJDK 8 and/or minimize any display issues
   between the two.” ← this is now complete

EOL dates for Java versions <https://adoptium.net/support.html>.

Propose officially migrating to Java 17/Jakarta packages by end of 2022 /
GeoServer 2.22.0 Release.

Will need Spring
<https://spring.io/blog/2021/09/02/a-java-17-and-jakarta-ee-9-baseline-for-spring-framework-6>,
Wicket to use Jakarta as well for the Jakarta part.

   -

   Spring is targeting Q4 2022, so this timeline may be infeasible
   -

   Wicket support is in progress
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET-6882> , targeting Wicket
   10.0.0

Now that GeoTools is supporting Java 17, we should add a Java 17 runtime to
Jenkins.

Also add info to the GeoTools compatibility matrix.

   -

   https://docs.geotools.org/latest/userguide/build/install/jdk.html
   (page could be simplified now)

Translations

Jody has had no capacity to follow up, was focused on release.

Andrea tried to enable github integration … feedback was that this did not
work. But need more detail ...

Links:

   -

   https://www.transifex.com/GeoServer/geoserver/