On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 12:39 PM Nuno Oliveira <
nuno.olive...@geosolutionsgroup.com> wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
> I'm assuming you are suggesting this for the upcoming GeoServer 2.22.x and
> GeoTools 28.x branches?

I did not have a specific target in mind. The code builds with Java 11
today, so Java 8 can be dropped at any point in time.

> If my math is right, this means that we will have until:
>
>    - September 2022 2.21.x stable supporting Java 8
>    - February 2023 2.21.x maintenance supporting Java 8
>
> Taking into account that we will need to vouch for backports, we will only
> be able to use Java 11 at 100% for development around January 2023.

Right, before that we'll only be able to use it for non-backportable
changes, or
have to rewrite a few bits to make them compatible with Java 8.
This would really favour a switch sooner rather than later though, so, Java
11 as the minimum already in GeoServer 2.21.
But... just thinking out loud really, let's hear opinions.

> I would say +1 to drop JDK 1.8 support, but I wonder if we should review
> our release schedule if indeed Oracle switch to a 2 years LTS.

What do you have in mind?

==

Visit http://bit.ly/gs-services-us for more information.
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions Group
phone: +39 0584 962313

fax:     +39 0584 1660272

mob:   +39  333 8128928

https://www.geosolutionsgroup.com/

http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE
2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si
precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo
contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è
riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il
messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra
operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by
European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this
e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please
notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail