Hi Ian,
(please keep geotools-devel cc'ed). I found the thread:
https://www.mail-archive.com/geotools-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg39428.html

We offered you to be a maintainer, which involves active usage of your time.
I see you offered some sponsoring in there, but also accepted
maintainership of the module.

This situation is kind of new, having a sponsor is nice but we also need
someone knowledgeable
about the module to look after PRs, Jira issues and mail messages. Let us
discuss at the next
Project Management Committee meeting.