The additional overhead for backports is a good point Andrea and one I had
not thought of; one we could mitigate slightly with planning.

aside: I should note that the funds raised thus far are not exclusively for
GeoTools; some availability or code sprint will be required for downstream
projects to make the change.I expect many will not be in position to notice
until after a stable release is made.

So we should plan for API migration this release cycle Q3/Q4; and then to
host a code sprint or office hours or something for downstream projects to
migrate in Q4.
- April 21-23: Apache / OGC / OGC Code sprint - good opportunity but too
soon
- July 1-2: FOSS4G - very small sprint maybe suitable for proof-of-concept
and planning what to do on package by package basis
- August 21 - September 1: Bolsean - this is a good candidate but *very*
close to our RC deadline

I expect supporting other projects will need to be an online sprint;
suggest: "last friday of the month" drop in office hours.